Thursday, May 24, 2012

"Stand for the Silent"


Kids Who Care recently presented a production called "Stand for the Silent" at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center. This production was inspired by the story of Kirk and Laura Smalley who lost their 11 year-old son, Ty, to suicide. Ty took his own life to escape years of constant bullying at school. In the wake of this unimaginable tragedy, Stand for the Silent was born. 

12 girls from our Arlington program attended the play and gained a depth of knowledge about the effects of bullying.  One Girls Inc. member, Joanna, said, “The play helped me understand what to do in a bully situation and how to prevent bullying.”  Star, age 11 added, “Mr. Smalley’s speech was inspiring I want to STOP bullying.”

A few days after attending the event, Girls Inc. member Skylar age 11 told us “Mr. Smalley's story made me very sad, but it inspired me and two of my friends to make an anti-bullying club at my school.  I told my teacher about it and she said it was a great idea. I also told my counselor and I will soon meet with her to talk about it.” 

For more information on how to stop bullying, please visit www.stopbullying.gov.

No comments:

Post a Comment